As the temperature keeps rising and summer is quickly approaching, it’s time to get ready for those long days of barbeques, parties, and yard games. There are countless chores to do in preparation for summer: trimming hedges, mowing the lawn, and so much more. But don’t forget about your driveway! A black top seal coating can help you keep your driveway looking sharp throughout the scorching heat of the summer months. Let’s look at how this essential maintenance procedure can make a real difference for your driveway!
What is Black Top Seal Coating?
Blacktop seal coating is a protective surface treatment for asphalt driveways that help keep them looking good and functioning properly.
The sealer forms a layer over the driveway, blocking out moisture and extending its lifespan by reducing damage caused by wear and tear. It also protects against UV rays, which can cause fading or discoloration of the asphalt material.
A black top seal coating also fills in any tiny cracks in your driveway and creates an even, level surface with a glossy finish.
Benefits of Black Top Seal Coating
The most significant benefit of blacktop seal coating is that it helps protect your driveway from sun damage and extreme temperatures.
Because the seal coat blocks sunlight from penetrating the asphalt surface, it protects it from fading, cracking, and other forms of damage caused by the elements.
A seal coat also reduces the risk of potholes forming due to water accumulation in cracks or crevices. Furthermore, it helps preserve the aesthetics of your driveway by giving it a smooth and glossy finish.
An asphalt sealcoating with a durable and long-lasting product can add a barrier for 2-3 years from harmful factors such as:
- Chemical spills
- Hot weather with extreme heat and intense sun
- Water pooling or extensive rain seeping into your asphalt
- Wear and tear from heavy vehicles
- Oil spills
- Salt damage from winter or snow road applications
Overall, black top seal coating is an easy and cost-effective way to protect your driveway while keeping it looking as good as new! So take advantage of this essential maintenance procedure before summer hits in full force and keep your driveway looking sharp all season long. With a black top seal coating, you can beat the heat and enjoy the day without worrying about any damage to your driveway!
How Do Asphalt Sealers Protect From Damaging Elements?
A black top seal coating is one of the best ways to protect your asphalt surface from discoloration, cracking, water damage, and UV rays. This simple addition can give your driveway a beautiful look while protecting it from the elements!
Blacktop seal coating is a protective layer applied to asphalt surfaces to prevent damage from harsh weather conditions. One of the benefits of seal coating is its ability to protect against discoloration. Over time, sun exposure can cause asphalt to fade and turn gray. However, seal coating acts as a barrier, preventing harmful UV rays from penetrating the surface and causing damage. As a result, the driveway retains its vibrant black color for a longer time.
In addition to UV protection, seal coating also guards against other damaging elements. Pavement left unprotected is susceptible to water damage, which can cause cracks and potholes. Seal coating creates a waterproof barrier that repels water and prevents it from seeping into the surface. By keeping moisture out, seal coating helps prevent costly damage and prolongs the driveway’s life.
Another benefit of seal coating is that it helps to fill in small cracks and imperfections in the asphalt. Over time, small cracks can turn into larger ones, which can be expensive to repair. Seal coating helps to prevent this by creating an even surface and filling in any small cracks or gaps.
Overall, a black top seal coating is an essential maintenance procedure that can make a real difference for your driveway. By protecting against discoloration, water damage, and UV rays, seal coating helps to keep your driveway looking sharp throughout the scorching heat of the summer months. It’s a simple addition that can give your driveway a beautiful look while protecting it from the elements!
How to Apply a Seal Coat to Asphalt Surfaces
Professional asphalt contractors use a black top seal coating to protect the driveway and maintain the longevity and appearance of your driveway. Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to apply a black top seal coating:
- Preparation: Ensure your driveway is clean and debris-free. Sweep the surface to remove any dirt, grass, or leaves. If you notice any oil stains, use a degreaser to remove them.
- Repair Any Damage: If your driveway has cracks or potholes, it’s essential to repair them before applying the seal coat. Fill in gaps or cracks with a patching compound. However, if cracks are deep or cover large portions of your asphalt, a cold mix product off the shelf will not work well. A hot mix asphalt (HMA) works better for filling in cracks and sealing them from future damage. HMA is stronger and more durable. Your asphalt contractor can fill in and seal cracks so that you can rest assured the repairs will last.
- Apply the Seal Coat: Pour the seal coat onto the driveway. Use a squeegee to spread the seal coat evenly over the surface, working in sections. Be careful not to overlap the seal coat, as this can cause unevenness. Letting your asphalt contractor handle the application of a seal coat ensures an even and smooth surface for 2-3 years until your next maintenance service.
- Allow to Dry: Once you’ve applied the seal coat, let it dry completely before allowing anyone to drive or walk on the surface. The drying time will depend on the temperature and humidity, but it usually takes 24-48 hours.
- Apply Second Coat: After the first coat has dried, you can apply a second coat of sealant for added protection.
- Clean Up: Once the seal coat has dried, clean up any remaining debris and dispose of it properly.
Taking care of your driveway with a black top seal coating will improve its appearance, increase its longevity, and save you money on costly repairs in the long run. Asphalt professionals can ensure the job is done right and your driveway will look and function at its best!
What Is the Best Type of Asphalt Sealer?
Sealing your driveway with the best sealant gives it the best protective layer.
Many asphalt driveway sealants are out there, but working with a professional contractor can keep your driveway’s surface safe with eco-friendly and durable asphalt seal coating. Don’t use coal tar sealers that pollute the environment and can bring a sticky mess into your home!
The best seal coat solution is Pitch Black Asphalt Emulsion Sealer®. It is “non-toxic, non-flammable, and the perfect eco-friendly alternative to coal tar. No Solvents. No Petroleum Distillates (i.e. Kerosene, Gasoline, Diesel).
With 60+ years of use, Pitch Black® asphalt emulsion seal coat has been used since the 1980s. Robert Archie is the inventor of Pitch Black® and founder of U.S. Seal International, Inc. He has 61 years of experience in the asphalt and sealcoat industry.”
Our Professionals Can Help
Get your asphalt driveway or parking lot ready for summer with AMP Paving! Sealing in the spring ensures that it will remain sturdy and withstand any of the harshness that comes with summer. Don’t risk having to manage damage later – get ahead of it now by calling AMP Paving!
Find the right asphalt contractor to get the job done properly! At AMP Paving, we have the experience and professionalism to tackle any asphalt job.
We’re here for all your asphalt needs, including crack repair, asphalt repaving, line striping and signage, seal coating, and ADA compliance. No matter how big or small the project, with our extensive experience across South Carolina, we are confident that we can exceed your standards!
Contact us online or give us a call at 803-237-4563 for a free seal coating quote and get started on your project today!